Monday, September 3, 2012

Machiavelli's "The Qualities of the Prince"


Diana Magnani
September 2, 2012
Professor Middleton


True Qualities of a Prince

     Machiavelli's essay, "The Qualities of the Prince" is a how-to style essay that lays the foundation for the morality of royalty. In the essay, Machiavelli discusses the way princes should act with regards to the military, taking the blame, generosity, being loved over being feared or the contrary, keeping his word, and avoiding being despised. In my opinion, Machiavelli made some very valid arguments. However, I do believe that a lot of what Machiavelli wrote is wrong in philosophy. 
     I definitely agree with Machiavelli in his philosophy of being a strong, smart military leader. Machiavelli states that someone who "learns to know one's own country can better understand how to defend it" (40). This goes along the same thinking as saying that the best and most reliable defense is a strong offense. I believe this to be absolutely true. I feel that the strongest and wisest military minds are the ones who understand their homeland, their territory, and their soldiers. With that knowledge, these brave military thinkers are better suited to go into battle because they are overly aware of their surroundings, and they know what their soldiers are capable of. 
      I disagree with Machiavelli with regard to his teachings on why it is important to be a well armed person. Machiavelli teaches that being disarmed makes you despised. I certainly do not agree with that statement. I believe that there is a certain level of respect that must be given to the man who walks unarmed, because he is so confident in his natural abilities and the decency of others to hold with head high without his hand on his gun. I firmly believe that weapons cause fear which, in turn, brings about an atmosphere of panic and an unavoidable arms race. This is what is currently happening in this country, and I believe that if people started to believe more in the decency of others we, as a nation, could see a major improvement in crime rates. I believe that philosophies such as Machiavelli's instill a fear in people that feed into the desire to want to be armed and therefore instill that fear in others. I believe that war is, sometimes, a necessity, and I definitely believe in fighting intelligently. However, I do not believe that people should despise those who are disarmed; in fact, I believe that people who are disarmed should be respected and admired as role models. 

2 comments:

  1. "I pledge my honor that I have abided by the Stevens Honor System" - Diana J Magnani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,

    Your ideas regarding Lao Tzu's philosophy of the man who goes unarmed being stronger and more confident are interesting. As we said in class, I'm not sure it's practical in a world where people might want to take advantage of you, but definitely the willingness to live by a nonviolent philosophy even if it means opening yourself to that risk is a sign of confidence and maturity, as you say. Good thoughts.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete